Diaper bag- it’s one of the most important items to have around when you become a mom. You’ll realize just how much you need it when you welcome that little bundle of joy. As a mom, you need to go out once in a while, but you couldn’t do just that without having to think about your diaper bag essentials.
A diaper bag can save the day since it is where you’ll put all your baby essentials when you need to leave the house with your little one. But what do you really need to stuff in there? What items you have to bring along will depend on some factors:
- Your child’s age
- Where you’re headed
- How long you’ll be out for
When Kai was less than six months old, we’d already take him out, particularly in malls since those are the most convenient places we can think of going at that time. As a breastfeeding mom, I never needed to pack much. I just threw in some diapers, nursing cover, a burping cloth, my favorite miracle balm, CJ’s Butter, and of course – baby wipes.
Some moms want to be extremely prepared, while others, like me, only want what’s necessary for that particular day out. You will soon find what works for you but until then, here’s a reminder on the essentials you need to put in your diaper bag.
Diaper Bag essentials you should NEVER miss
- Diapers – When Kai was around two to three months, I would pack four to five diapers in the bag.
- Wipes – Everything is just easy with wipes around. You can wipe your hands with it, wipe baby’s hands, mouth, feet, bum, and surfaces. So get one big pack and stuff it in there.
- Changing pads – Some diaper bags come with their own changing pads — I know mine had — but if you want to, you can simply buy separate ones.
- Hand sanitizer/alcohol – Just like wipes, this item is a must-have and it comes in very handy before and after diaper changes if you can’t find a place or time to wash.
- Extra clothes – Bring clothes, at least for two changes. You’ll never know when messy accidents happen.
- Burp cloths – these are very important especially since little ones drool and make messes a lot.
- Milk bottle and milk – if you’re not breastfeeding, make room for the bottles and powdered milk containers
- Breastfeeding cover – for breastfeeding moms
- Disposable bags or wet bags- This can come in handy for wet clothes or soiled nappies. Check out these cute wet bags HERE.
- Diaper rash cream (baby balm) – I never go out without my CJ’s Butter Shea Butter Balm. Bring one in a sample-sized container so there’ll be more room in your diaper bag.
- Sunscreen – if you’re going out and you know you’ll be exposed to the sun, don’t forget the sunscreen.
- Snack box (for older babies) – Keep some “finger food” just in case your little one wants something to munch on.
- Pacifier – if your kid uses it.
Depending on where you’re going or how prepared you want to be, you might also consider bringing:
- Nail clipper
- Breast pads for breastfeeding moms
- Sensory books
- First-aid kit
- teething gel
- mosquito repellent patch/lotion/oil
You may also choose to put mommy things inside if you have more room in your diaper bag. However, I always had my own small handbag each time we’ll go. We usually place the diaper bag in the stroller’s compartment so we won’t have to carry the bulky bag all the time. I have a small handbag for my wallet, phone, my lipstick and my brush. (Check out these cool diaper bags! >>> HERE)
What other diaper bag essentials do (did) you have? How do you pack yours when going out with the little one? Would love to hear from you.
[Photos supplied by IG: @dogearedcorners]